Project 3 65BX 2014 - U Boat Mk II
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Project 3 65BX 2014 - U Boat Mk II

Project 3 65BX 2014 - U Boat Mk II 3 years, 10 months ago #1945

• MikeC
  • Colonel
Hello

Here is another one that I have pretty much completed, just need to wait for the water effects gel to go clear (please, please, please). The submarine was pretty basic to build, paint and weather, but the water took some pain.

I took soft plastic (as found for covers in many children's toys, or you can use a 2L Coke bottle) and melted and shaped the waves using a gas heater. I cut out a shape for the boat and then filled up the gaps using Woodland Scenics Water Effects. The underside was then sprayed with varying combinations of Tamiya Acrylic Clear Blue, Dark grey, White and Royal Blue. The surface was stippled with white and then covered with Woodland Scenics Water Effects using a toothbrush to texture. Once dried white was dry brushed on key raised surfaces and then thinned out clear blue was sprayed randomly over the surface. Thinned white was then sprayed to simulate the "wake" of the boat and then the surface was over sprayed with clear varnish.

The "water layer" was then fitted into a glass box supported by a picture frame using Woodland Scenics Water Effects which will hopefully eventually go clear. Not sure what to do to the clear glass below to still allow visibility - any suggestions?

More to follow

Re: Project 3 65BX 2014 - U Boat Mk II 3 years, 9 months ago #1946

• Isando
  • Captain
There is more??? bloody hell, best bit of water Ive seen. and the angle of the sub cutting through it perfect. not sure if anything is needed below the surface...
You Are Beginning to Damage My Calm

Re: Project 3 65BX 2014 - U Boat Mk II 3 years, 9 months ago #1949

• Rammstein
  • General
  • Paul
Wow..... Mike that really looks good......love the water effect.
What did you use? and how did you do it?
ALWAYS REMEMBER TO PILLAGE BEFORE YOU BURN

Re: Project 3 65BX 2014 - U Boat Mk II 3 years, 9 months ago #1954

• MikeC
  • Colonel
Thanks Paul

I used a soft clear plastic sheet which I melted to form the waves, I used Woodland Scenics Water effects and a toothbrush to texture the surface - the painting is described above.

Thanks
Mike

Re: Project 3 65BX 2014 - U Boat Mk II 3 years, 9 months ago #1957

• Eric
  • Field Marshall Admin
  • Club Newsletter Editor and Webmaster
I get positively seasick looking at that boat! Stunning!
S%@#*! Now where did that piece go??!!

Re: Project 3 65BX 2014 - U Boat Mk II 3 years, 9 months ago #1965

• jugjunkie
  • Colonel
Outstanding Mike! All that's missing is the sea spray which I could almost feel. Damn fine looking wild water - cant think of ever seeing better.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds

Select Web Designers
Website Developers,
We Make Websites Work!